Michael Johnson, Marshall County Alabama Revenue Commissioner

Revenue Commissioner's Office

The mission of the Marshall County Revenue Commissioner is to bill, collect, invest, borrow, safeguard and disburse monies and properties. We do this on behalf of the County, other government agencies and entities, and private individuals as specified by law. The Department also provides enforcement, consulting, estate administration, and public information services.

The Revenue Commissioner strives to serve it's "customers" by providing timely and accurate services in a manner that is fair, legal, and courteous. To meet our service obligations, we use technical expertise employing modern, innovative, cost-effective, and flexible methodologies. In fulfilling this mission, we will meet our responsibilities and preserve public confidence.

Revenue Commissioner:

Michael Johnson
424 Blount Avenue
Guntersville, AL



Section 40-10-180, of the Code of Alabama declares the tax collecting official for each county shall have the sole authority to decide whether his or her county shall utilize the sale of a tax lien for the sale of property to collect delinquent property taxes. The Marshall County Revenue Commissioner hereby declares hereafter the remedy for collecting delinquent property taxes by the sale of a tax lien.


Property Taxes

Property (ad valorem) taxes are taxes on real and/or personal property. Real property includes land and improvements including your home. Personal property refers to items which are movable or not permanently fixed to the land.

The Revenue Commissioner is responsible to determine property value which by law must be set at the "fair and reasonable market value." Even though your property may not be for sale, the local appraiser must set the value of the property as if it were "sold" in an "arms length" transaction between a "willing buyer and a willing seller," neither being under any pressure to buy or sell.

Property Appraisal

Marshall County has approximately 64,000 separate parcels of land that must be individually appraised for tax purposes. Each parcel of land must be described on a property record card. Characteristics of land and buildings are listed and valued separately and become the basis for establishing fair market value. This information is found in the Revenue Commissioner's Office.

Assessment of Property

Each taxpayer is required by Alabama Law (Code Ş40-7-1) to provide a complete list of all property which is owned. The person acquiring property is responsible for reporting to the Revenue Commissioner a complete legal description of the property and should at that time claim any exemptions for which he and/or she is eligible. The Revenue Commissioner should be furnished a correct mailing address for all properties. Thereafter, the property owner must report any changes in ownership and any improvements or deletions to the Revenue Commissioner.

Property Classification

The Revenue Commissioner is responsible to assess and collect property taxes. In the preceding section you were informed that property is appraised at "fair market value." In Alabama, property is classified as:

Class I Utility 30%
Class II All other property 20%
Class III Farm Property and Owner Occupied Res. Property 10%
Class IV Motor Vehicles 15%

You multiply the appraised value of property by the proper classification to determine the assessed value. Taxes are based on assessed value, less exemption, times a millage rate. A mill is one-tenth of one cent or 0.001

Tax Collection

State and county taxes are due every year the first of October and are delinquent after the 31st of December.

Payment may be made as follows:

  1. You may pay by mail by mailing a check or money order to: Marshall County Revenue Commissioner.
  2. You may go to the Revenue Commissioner’s Office on the first floor of the Marshall County Courthouse and make payment in person.
  3. Have your taxes paid by your mortgage company escrow account (if applicable).

If you purchased property during the year, you need to make sure the taxes are paid by December 31. The tax bill will normally be in the previous owner’s name. You are responsible for taxes on all property you own, no matter how the tax bill may be listed.

What to do when you buy property

New property owners should not rely on their attorney, real estate agent, or other representative to assess their property. This is your responsibility, as the new owner, to see that all the necessary steps have been completed. The steps are:

  • Make sure that your deed is recorded in the Record Room of the Probate Office. This has usually been done by your attorney, if one represented you at closing. If you received your deed at and time stamped by the probate Judge’s Office it will have a Real Property Book and page on its front page.
  • Come to the Revenue Commissioner’s Office and assess the property in your name.
  • Claim any exemptions due you.
  • If you have an escrow account with your mortgage company that pays your property taxes, they will request the tax information from the Revenue Commissioner. However, should you receive a bill on property which your mortgage company should pay, please forward it directly to them.
  • Report all changes in ownership and/or address promptly.

Exemptions (Homestead apply to Owner-occupied dwelling)

Homestead Exemption I is for owner occupied residential property owned by persons under age 65 and applies to state and county property taxes and is described as Class III property. The amount is $4,000 for the state tax and $2,000 for county taxes.

Homestead Exemption II is for owner occupied residential property owned by persons over age 65, or who are blind or totally disabled, whose adjusted gross income is less than $12,000 annually. The exemption is for all state taxes and county taxes up to $5,000 in assessed value.

Homestead Exemption III is for persons over age 65 or blind or totally disabled.

Current use value is an exemption which applies to Class III property. Upon application, if the property meets conditions set by law, property is taxed based on value to the owner without consideration of the potential value of the property. Ask you Revenue Commissioner if you desire further information about current use.

Industrial exemptions are also available. To qualify the owner of a property must file with the Revenue Commissioner a decree from the Commissioner of Revenue and a resolution of the County Commission. This exemption does not apply to the school taxes or hospital tax.


General-------------------2.5 mills
Soldier-------------------1.0 mills
School-------------------3.0 mills
TOTAL-------------------6.5 mills
General-------------------6.0 mills
Road and Bridge-----------2.4 mills
Courthouse and Jail---------0.6 mills
Hospital-------------------4.5 mills
TOTAL-------------------13.5 mills
County Wide School4.5 mills
School Districts
District 82 (Albertville)------3.5 mills
District 3A (Arab) 2 mills2.0 mills
District 3A (Arab)------3.5 mills
District 81 (Guntersville)------3.5 mills
District (Rural)------13.0 mills
Boaz School District------13.0 mills
Albertville City ------5.0 mills
Albertville Special ---7.5 mills
Albertville(2008 school)6.0 mills
Arab City-------5.0 mills
Boaz City-------5.0 mills
Boaz Special-----7.5 mills
Guntersville City6.0 mills
Guntersville Special9.0 mills
Grant City5.0 mills
Timber Tax


Every individual, firm or corporation that owns a business or is leasing equipment in Marshall County must file a Business Personal Property return each year. This is a complete itemized listing of all property that is used to operate the business.

The Business Personal Property tax is assessed on such items as computers, machinery, equipment, furniture, ect., that is used in the operation of the business. Any item not otherwise taxed as real property or a vehicle is business personal property.

The Business Personal Property return must be updated and submitted between October 1 and December 31 of each year. Each item must be listed individually and include a description of the property, the date it was purchased and the cost of the item. Business Supplies should also be listed, however not on an individual basis. Supplies are items that are replenished on a regular basis such as toiletries, pens, paper, cleaning supplies ect. An average monthly amount should be used for the cost of supplies.

If commercial tagged vehicles are owned, it is the special additions or specialized equipment called “add-on” that should be included on the Business Personal Property return. Examples of “add-on” equipment are box type bodies, concrete mixer drums, dumping mechanisms, wrecker rigs, propane and petroleum tanks, refrigeration equipment ect.

Airplanes are also taxed thru Business Personal Property, the information that needs to be provided is the aircraft number, serial number, year, make, model the date purchased and the purchased price.